Skip to main content

Winning Over the Challenging Chihuahuas

Ten days ago (it feels like ten years ago), my sister arrived at my door to drop off her beloved Gidget. She and her family were going on vacation to Hawaii. I love dog sitting and have dog sat Mastiffs, Golden Retrievers, and Boxers.  I love dogs so much that I do it for free!  I figured Gidget would be no different, but boy was I wrong.

All was well until my sister left.  As soon as she pulled out of the drive away, Gidget glued herself to the front door and began to whimper.   I forget to mention that Gidget is a three-pound chihuahua with eyes that bug out like two huge marbles. She is not attractive (Dawn, if you're reading this, I'm sorry).  I figured she'd mellow out eventually but at 3AM her whimpers became howls peppered by high-pitched barks.  I closed my bedroom door and turned on the fan to drown out the sound. No dice. By 5AM, I was desperate and went downstairs to see what I could do. Suddenly,I was her worst enemy. She began to growl and show her small, razor-like  teeth. Think Cujo. Think Satan. I thought if I took her outside she might calm down Yet, the closer I got to her, the more terrified and more vicious she became.  Determined, I grabbed a piece of turkey to distract her while I clumsily and quickly  attached the leash to her collar. I dragged her outside to my front yard where she continued to growl and howl. Then, in slow motion, it happened. Within seconds, I was holding a leash with an empty collar and Gidget was running full speed down the street. She ran to a neighbor's house and disappeared under his truck. Unfortunately, my neighbor was IN his truck and trying to back out of the driveway.  I pounded on his window, screaming, begging him not to move. Fortunately, Gidget escaped being flattened by a Toyota Tundra. My neighbor got out to try to help. Thinking he was the Dog Whisperer, he attempted to win  Gidget over. This lasted about two minutes. He quickly realized he would be fingerless if he continued.  Let's just say that the next 45 minutes entailed blankets, dog crates, ham, garden gloves,  and a broom. None of which resulted in capturing this demented dog. Instead, on her own volition, she high tailed it back towards my house and in through the front door. Mind you, all of this occured with me still in my pajamas!

Despite the fact that she peed on my rug and left Tootie Rolls on my carpet, I continued kill her with kindness. I used my sweet doggie voice, threw treats in her direction, and even gave her food and water.  What I wanted to do was throw her off a freeway overpass.  That night, things miraculously improved.  She didn't sleep by the door, and she didn't howl and bark all night.  Within another day she was sleeping in my bed!  Then, she LICKED me!  She began to follow me everywhere.  She was happy to see me when I got home.  I couldn't believe it. Gidget liked me!  Gidget liked ME!

As I prepared for the first day of school,  I thought about how much I want students to like me. Most of my students enter my room like Labrador Retrievers, but I do get  occasional  challenging chihuahuas. Fortunately, they don't pee on my carpet or try to bite me! Like Gidget, it may take some time to win them over.  I will speak nicely to them, I will throw treats at them, and I will give them love and attention.   Eventually, they will come around and realize there is no need to be afraid and that they are safe. They may even grow to like me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TQE: Get students Engaged and Digging Deep

I've mentioned before how Twitter has helped me grow as an educator.  Edutwitter is a valuable resource for book recommendations, new teaching methods, lessons, and articles.  One of my favorite educators to follow is Marissa Thompson, a high school teacher at Carlsbad High. This summer I read about her TQE(thoughts, questions, epiphanies) method for discussing literature.  I'd always longed for having discussions like the ones I had in my college literature courses, but when I try fishbowl or Socratic seminar with my students, the discussions felt forced, flat, and awkward. That changed today when I tried TQE for the first time.  Sharing homework in small groups Students writing their TQEs on the board When I listened to Marissa's podcast on Cult of Pedagogy ( check it out here ), I was intimidated. After all, her students are in high school and have a rock star teacher.  I think I read the transcript twenty times before finally trying it.  Here's h

Writing an Essay...with a Partner

I love technology for collaboration! Teaching writing to middle school students is not easy.  All students come with different skills and knowledge.  With 35 students in a class, it's impossible to sit down one on one and assist students with the writing process.  Teaching students to write a literary analysis is particularly challenging because most seventh-graders have little, to no experience.  Students need to learn to  develop a thesis statement, find evidence from the text to support it, provide the context of the selected quotations , and write insightful commentary on the evidence they selected. Remember, these kiddos are twelve! Graphic organizers are particularly helpful to these young writers. The biggest challenge is providing feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after they turn their work in for a grade.  Students need to be able to use the feedback they receive and see the difference it makes in the final product.  I was adamant that I was not go

The Outsiders

Anyone else remember reading The Outsiders in middle school?  I remember reading it in 7th grade in 1981. Oh how I loved that book!  Then came the movie!  Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Leif Garret, Matt Dillon, and Patrick Swayze were some of the actors in this Francis Ford Coppola film.  I have to admit that it was a little depressing this year when I mentioned that Tom Cruise was in the movie, and only one student said, "I think I have heard of him."   Yet, here it is 2014 and my students are enjoying this book as much as I did.  On the surface the book is about two rival "gangs," the Socs and the Greasers.  However, the book is about so much more.  It is about stereotypes and prejudging people.  It's about true friendship, family, and loyalty.  It's about courage and growing up.  That makes it the perfect book for middle schoolers. I started off the unit with a web quest about the 1960s to get the students acquainted with the setting of the novel.  They