Skip to main content

What Gets Me Excited about Teaching

In case you don't know, I love teaching. However, when most people describe why they love it they often explain how much the love watching the "light bulb" go off for their students. That is not what I love about teaching (not that I don't enjoy watching students "get it"), No, for me there are far more wonderful aspects of this job .
1) Watching students learn to advocate for themselves and communicate. I have received very few emails from parents this year. Instead, students are emailing me themselves. They are asking questions about assignments, requesting retakes, and requesting my feedback. They are the ones telling me they will be missing class for two days or that their internet will be down on Friday. This thrills me because I know how hard it is for them, but I know this is one of the most important skills they will learn.This is why my first lesson of the year was email etiquette. By the way, my students are TWELVE! They are amazing!
2) Relationships. Getting to know my students personally is a privilege and brings me so much joy. Working with young people has given me so much hope for the future. My classes are filled with bright, creative, thoughtful, insightful, and kind humans. They each have unique personalities. If you have your own children, I am sure you have often thought about how "different" each child is. Well, I have taught thousands of students, and I can say that no two have been alike.
3)Watching students learn tenacity. When I switched to standards-based grading, one of my primary goals was for students to be more concerned about learning and less concerned about grades. I also wanted them to learn that it's okay to make mistakes and not get something right the first time. This system has helped my students to be tenacious and not live in "fear" of failure. It's okay to mess up. You can try again. I honestly feel all schools and colleges should implement this grading system. It encourages students to learn the material and not settle for mediocrity. Students still try their hardest because they don't necessarily want to have to do something twice...or even three or four times!
4) Learning from my students. Yes, everyday! Today I asked my students what the last thing they ate was. One boy told me he had toast with martmite. I corrected him and said, "Oh, you mean marmalade." He insisted it was Marmite. Of course, another student knew what it was. I stopped class for him to explain what it was to the rest of us. That's a silly example, I know. But, they also point out things in books we are reading that I hadn't thought about before. They teach me slang words like "yeet" and "boomer". How fun is that?
5. I'm a better person because of teaching. My students have made me a more patient, empathetic person. I've watched my students deal with learning and physical disabilities. I've watched them endure having a parent in prison, losing a parent to cancer, and even having cancer themselves. My students have taught me to freely extend grace and kindness. My students have taught me to apologize when I mess up because they deserve that. These are just some of the joys of teaching. If a lightbulb goes off, that's great too!

Comments

  1. You sometimes say "If something is too good to be true, it probably isn't." But I can't say that applies to you. Your empathy and kindness for us students is what encourages us to send our own Emails to you and to spend time sharing ideas. Your gregarious attitude warmly welcomes everyone into your classes, and there is no dearth of happiness. You have turned our modicum of time in each class into a plethora of engaging activities. So, I'd like to add, you aren't just watching students do these things, you are encouraging, assisting, and promoting us to learn tenacity, to advocate for ourselves, and to share knowledge with others- the three most important things that humans need to unified. That's what gets you excited about teaching and that's what gets me excited about learning! I consider myself auspicious to be in your class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reason number 6 "Students using their words of the week to respond to my blog posts." :) Thank you so much for your kind comments. I can't take the credit but thanks. :) I love our class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for touching our kids lives! Jake lights up when he talks about you as his teacher. This was SUCH a challenging, dark year for so many-and you continued to shine and teach from your heart. Forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! I just saw this comment. Thank you so much. Jake is a JOY!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TQE: Get students Engaged and Digging Deep

I've mentioned before how Twitter has helped me grow as an educator.  Edutwitter is a valuable resource for book recommendations, new teaching methods, lessons, and articles.  One of my favorite educators to follow is Marissa Thompson, a high school teacher at Carlsbad High. This summer I read about her TQE(thoughts, questions, epiphanies) method for discussing literature.  I'd always longed for having discussions like the ones I had in my college literature courses, but when I try fishbowl or Socratic seminar with my students, the discussions felt forced, flat, and awkward. That changed today when I tried TQE for the first time.  Sharing homework in small groups Students writing their TQEs on the board When I listened to Marissa's podcast on Cult of Pedagogy ( check it out here ), I was intimidated. After all, her students are in high school and have a rock star teacher.  I think I read the transcript twenty times before finally trying it.  Here's h

Writing an Essay...with a Partner

I love technology for collaboration! Teaching writing to middle school students is not easy.  All students come with different skills and knowledge.  With 35 students in a class, it's impossible to sit down one on one and assist students with the writing process.  Teaching students to write a literary analysis is particularly challenging because most seventh-graders have little, to no experience.  Students need to learn to  develop a thesis statement, find evidence from the text to support it, provide the context of the selected quotations , and write insightful commentary on the evidence they selected. Remember, these kiddos are twelve! Graphic organizers are particularly helpful to these young writers. The biggest challenge is providing feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after they turn their work in for a grade.  Students need to be able to use the feedback they receive and see the difference it makes in the final product.  I was adamant that I was not go

Hexagonal Thinking

The last few weeks can be challenging. Keeping students engaged and learning is my mission! When I stumbled upon a post about hexagonal thinking, I knew I had to try it with my students. I am SO glad I did. Although this activity can be done digitally or on paper, I insisted that my students in class do it old school. My goal was for my students to have thoughtful discussions about what we read this year. Here's how it works! First, I came up with a list of key characters and ideas from The Giver, Animal Farm, and The Children's Story. I found this awesome generator on line where I could just type in my words, and it put them in the hexagons for me. Then I printed out the pages (there were three) for each group. I did a copious amount of research before embarking on this activity, and I was shocked by the number of teachers who cut the hexagons out for their students. That would have taken me HOURS. I simply gave each group scissors, and they were done in five minute