Skip to main content

Grudgeball

Looks like pinning pins on Pinterest paid off (love that alliteration)!  I found a great game called Grudgeball that I decided to try with my classes.  Anything that involves throwing a ball is usually a hit with middle schoolers.  We had a colon and semi-colon test coming up, so I thought the game would be a good way to review.
     Students were broken up into teams. Each group started off with ten Xs on the board.    I created a review on Kahoot (one of my favorite sites) and projected the questions on the big screen.          Everyone could see the question, but only one group at a time could answer.  Students passed a Chromebook from group to group to answer the question.  If they got it right, they got to erase two Xs off another team's score.  Then, they got to shoot a basket from either the two point or three point line.  If they made it from the two point line, they could erase two more Xs, and if they made it from the three point line, three more Xs.  The team with the most Xs at the end won!  Let me just say that there is a reason the game is called Grudgeball.  These kids are competitive!
Discussing the Question
Trying to Score
Erasing Xs
Looking at the Screen

One of our Questions-Love how I can Personalize the Questions!


So, how did the kids do on the final test?  Overall, they did great.       It was so exciting to see kids go from a 20% on a pretest, to 100% on the final test.  Again, what I love about Noredink is that it is individualized.  If students ace the pretest, they are  done!  They don't have to complete worksheets or take notes  on something they've already mastered!  If not, I can provide tons of additional practice on  Noredink for the students to complete before the test!  Of course, if a student doesn't do the practice, his grade reflects it.
     I can't believe the semester is almost over.  The longer I teach, the faster the years fly by.  This year has been awesome!  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TQE: Get students Engaged and Digging Deep

I've mentioned before how Twitter has helped me grow as an educator.  Edutwitter is a valuable resource for book recommendations, new teaching methods, lessons, and articles.  One of my favorite educators to follow is Marissa Thompson, a high school teacher at Carlsbad High. This summer I read about her TQE(thoughts, questions, epiphanies) method for discussing literature.  I'd always longed for having discussions like the ones I had in my college literature courses, but when I try fishbowl or Socratic seminar with my students, the discussions felt forced, flat, and awkward. That changed today when I tried TQE for the first time.  Sharing homework in small groups Students writing their TQEs on the board When I listened to Marissa's podcast on Cult of Pedagogy ( check it out here ), I was intimidated. After all, her students are in high school and have a rock star teacher.  I think I read the transcript twenty times before finally trying it.  Here's h

Writing an Essay...with a Partner

I love technology for collaboration! Teaching writing to middle school students is not easy.  All students come with different skills and knowledge.  With 35 students in a class, it's impossible to sit down one on one and assist students with the writing process.  Teaching students to write a literary analysis is particularly challenging because most seventh-graders have little, to no experience.  Students need to learn to  develop a thesis statement, find evidence from the text to support it, provide the context of the selected quotations , and write insightful commentary on the evidence they selected. Remember, these kiddos are twelve! Graphic organizers are particularly helpful to these young writers. The biggest challenge is providing feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after they turn their work in for a grade.  Students need to be able to use the feedback they receive and see the difference it makes in the final product.  I was adamant that I was not go

The Outsiders

Anyone else remember reading The Outsiders in middle school?  I remember reading it in 7th grade in 1981. Oh how I loved that book!  Then came the movie!  Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Leif Garret, Matt Dillon, and Patrick Swayze were some of the actors in this Francis Ford Coppola film.  I have to admit that it was a little depressing this year when I mentioned that Tom Cruise was in the movie, and only one student said, "I think I have heard of him."   Yet, here it is 2014 and my students are enjoying this book as much as I did.  On the surface the book is about two rival "gangs," the Socs and the Greasers.  However, the book is about so much more.  It is about stereotypes and prejudging people.  It's about true friendship, family, and loyalty.  It's about courage and growing up.  That makes it the perfect book for middle schoolers. I started off the unit with a web quest about the 1960s to get the students acquainted with the setting of the novel.  They