Skip to main content

TQE: Get students Engaged and Digging Deep

I've mentioned before how Twitter has helped me grow as an educator.  Edutwitter is a valuable resource for book recommendations, new teaching methods, lessons, and articles.  One of my favorite educators to follow is Marissa Thompson, a high school teacher at Carlsbad High. This summer I read about her TQE(thoughts, questions, epiphanies) method for discussing literature.  I'd always longed for having discussions like the ones I had in my college literature courses, but when I try fishbowl or Socratic seminar with my students, the discussions felt forced, flat, and awkward. That changed today when I tried TQE for the first time. 

Sharing homework in small groups



Students writing their TQEs on the board

When I listened to Marissa's podcast on Cult of Pedagogy (check it out here), I was intimidated. After all, her students are in high school and have a rock star teacher.  I think I read the transcript twenty times before finally trying it.  Here's how I did it:

1) Modeled annotations for the chapter of Animal Farm we were reading on the docucam.  I considered having students use sticky notes but decided against them and just used lined paper. Sticky notes seem to end up on the floor or left in books for my next group of students to deal with. Plus, many of my students would struggle to write small enough to write what they needed on such a small space. As we listened to the chapter, I took notes on the author's word choice,  made predictions, made connections to the Russian Revolution, etc. I gave my students this handout. I paused frequently to explain my notes to my students and answer questions.  For the last two pages of the chapter, I had them finish annotating on their own. Then, I had them share what they had written.  I was blown away by what they had noted and knew they were ready to fly!

2)  Assigned homework of reading the next chapter and annotating it.  I rarely assign homework, so I struggled with this.   In the next class, students were asked to have their annotations for both chapters on their desks, and I went around and checked to see who had completed the work. Only ONE student out of 33 did not complete the work.  I decided to let her stay in class instead of sending her out because she claimed to have read the chapter. Not sure what I'll do next time.

3) Table groups met to share their homework notes.  Groups of four worked well,  but larger groups would be fine.  I provided them with the sentence starters that Marissa Thompson has available for FREE in Teachers Pay Teachers. I took her advice about reminding students to use the sentence starter, "Why does Orwell...?" instead of "Why does the character...?"  I wanted them to analyze the author's purpose. I thought this would be hard for them. It wasn't. The groups met for about fifteen minutes, and I told students to pick the best Thought, Question, and Epiphany from their group to write on the whiteboard.  I had three columns written on the board ahead of time. I also provided each group with a different color marker. Looking back, I would assign one group member to do the writing on the board; many students were at the board, excited to see what everyone was writing. I would also ask students to write down two things, instead of three.  However, I was nervous we wouldn't have enough to talk about.  NOT the case!

4) Class discusses the TQEs written on the board. First of all, the TQEs that these twelve-year-olds came up with were amazing!  I picked a thought to start with, and I could not believe all of the hands that shot up!   We did not get to all of the TQEs because each TQE led to a deep discussion.  The connections, realizations, and epiphanies that my students made during this 40 minutes was something I have NEVER experienced in my teaching career! Students who have never volunteered in class spoke up.  They LISTENED to each other and said things like, "Adding on to what Ben said..." Only two students did not participate today!  However, I KNOW they benefitted from the discussion.

Great observations even if Napolean is apparently an ice cream flavor.

These are seventh-graders!





5) I asked the students for feedback.  I asked them to rate this activity as to how much it helped deepen their understanding of the chapters by holding up one to five fingers.  It was almost all fives with a few fours.

When I did this again the next day with my fourth period, I asked them to fill out a Google Form providing me with feedback about what they learned. Here are some of their comments:

I learned more about what might happen to the puppies and how the pigs are trying to make it seem like they are their friends so they can gain their trust.

I realized that Trotsky was killed with an ice pick and that is similar to Snowball...


Group discussions help me think more deeply about the story and I think it helps have a better view of the book and the message.

That we can actually lead a conversation with engagement and minimal disruptions.

I started realizing how Mr.Jones was Czar Nicholas and how the pigs are doing everything they can to make it seem like the pigs are their friends but are getting treated the best.

Hearing people's ideas made me realize a lot of things.

 Snowball's name is related to an ice pick which is what Trotsky was killed with.

Napolean might represent Stalin, Snowball as Trotsky, and the puppies are the people who worked for Stalin and murdered Trotsky

I realized that all of the animals are starting to act like Mr. Jones and working like people.

...the word comrade is used as manipulation.

I realized that the pigs learned to read and write before the other animals so they seemed smarter than the rest of the animals and the other animal looked up to them.

That the pigs are becoming humans. I never thought about Napoleon taking the puppies maybe they will be cops or guards.

Before, I had no clue why Orwell chose pigs to be the leaders. The conversation made me consider different things and I came up with one myself: People are often called pigs if they hog things or have a lot, like food. The pigs are hogging the resources like milk in Animal Farm.
I realized that the puppies could be brainwashed into a sort of secret police.

I discovered a lot of interesting and thoughtful ideas other people had. My classmates had a lot of strong options, which made me think twice. I think there was a positive learning aspect of this discussion
.
As students left my classroom today, they were still talking about the book!  They loved this activity and I can't wait to see how these deeper understandings lead to better writing!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing an Essay...with a Partner

I love technology for collaboration! Teaching writing to middle school students is not easy.  All students come with different skills and knowledge.  With 35 students in a class, it's impossible to sit down one on one and assist students with the writing process.  Teaching students to write a literary analysis is particularly challenging because most seventh-graders have little, to no experience.  Students need to learn to  develop a thesis statement, find evidence from the text to support it, provide the context of the selected quotations , and write insightful commentary on the evidence they selected. Remember, these kiddos are twelve! Graphic organizers are particularly helpful to these young writers. The biggest challenge is providing feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after they turn their work in for a grade.  Students need to be able to use the feedback they receive and see the difference it makes in the final product.  I was adamant that I was not go

The Outsiders

Anyone else remember reading The Outsiders in middle school?  I remember reading it in 7th grade in 1981. Oh how I loved that book!  Then came the movie!  Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Leif Garret, Matt Dillon, and Patrick Swayze were some of the actors in this Francis Ford Coppola film.  I have to admit that it was a little depressing this year when I mentioned that Tom Cruise was in the movie, and only one student said, "I think I have heard of him."   Yet, here it is 2014 and my students are enjoying this book as much as I did.  On the surface the book is about two rival "gangs," the Socs and the Greasers.  However, the book is about so much more.  It is about stereotypes and prejudging people.  It's about true friendship, family, and loyalty.  It's about courage and growing up.  That makes it the perfect book for middle schoolers. I started off the unit with a web quest about the 1960s to get the students acquainted with the setting of the novel.  They