Skip to main content

Coffee Klatch and Tom Sawyer

Introducing her Word

I have a hard time just repeating what I did the previous school year. Although it would make my life easier,  I am always looking to both grow as a teacher and  for  ways to provide my students with valuable, engaging learning experiences.  This year over Winter Break, I decided I wanted to teach Tom Sawyer for the first time ever!  I hadn't read it in over twenty years but revisited it over vacation.  I downloaded it to my ipad.  Oh how I love my ipad!  It allows me to bring my books to the gym with me.  As I pedaled away on the stationary bike, I became a temporary resident of St. Petersburg, Missouri.  I got lost in Tom's world-a world of good old-fashioned fun and mischief-a world sans technology.  Many times while reading, I would find myself laughing aloud.   I would look around to see if anybody saw me.  I am sure people thought I was nuts.  Numerous times I texted my dear friend and fellow English teacher to tell her where I was in the book. By the way, working with amazing people is just another thing I love about my job!
I gave my students some essential questions to consider as they read the novel.  That way they know what to look for when highlighting and annotating the text.  I always hated when my professors wouldn't give us the writing prompt until AFTER we read a novel!  We read the first chapter in class.  I had two volunteers read the dialogue between Tom and the "new" boy.  That really made it come to life, and the kids thought it was funny, especially when the boy says that anybody that will take a dare can "suck eggs."



There is quite a bit of challenging vocabulary in the book.  Some is antiquated and not worth spending too much time on.  Many of the words can be figured out by looking at the context of the sentence.  For the first three chapters, I selected words that I felt would be useful for my students-words they will see and use!  We had a coffee klatch to introduce our first set of words.    Each student received a paper cup with a word and short definition.  Using a sentence frame, they had to introduce their word to several other students.  Those students had to use another sentence frame to show that they understood the word.  Finally, students  chose three new words and created word maps for each one.   

I hope that my enthusiasm for Tom Sawyer is contagious and that my students can appreciate it as much as I do!


Comments

  1. 1) What I liked about Tom Sawyer was that it's different than most of the books we've read this year.
    2) I think it is still a classic because the story shows how some of the characters grow throughout the whole book.
    3) My favorite part of the book was when Becky and Tom were lost in the cave with Injun Joe because it showed how Tom was there for Becky and wanted to save her.
    4) I liked the article about patent medicine because I thought it was crazy how the medicines were "snake oil".
    5) I found some of the vocabulary challenging. Since the book took place in the 1800's, a lot of words are not used today.
    6) Next year, I think Mrs. Karney should play a game with questions about Tom Sawyer, or some of the vocabulary and their definitions.
    7) I think you should teach the book next year because it teaches a lot of morals.
    -Kara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kara! I love your comments. I did actually make a Kahoot for the vocabulary we learned but forgot all about it! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TQE: Get students Engaged and Digging Deep

I've mentioned before how Twitter has helped me grow as an educator.  Edutwitter is a valuable resource for book recommendations, new teaching methods, lessons, and articles.  One of my favorite educators to follow is Marissa Thompson, a high school teacher at Carlsbad High. This summer I read about her TQE(thoughts, questions, epiphanies) method for discussing literature.  I'd always longed for having discussions like the ones I had in my college literature courses, but when I try fishbowl or Socratic seminar with my students, the discussions felt forced, flat, and awkward. That changed today when I tried TQE for the first time.  Sharing homework in small groups Students writing their TQEs on the board When I listened to Marissa's podcast on Cult of Pedagogy ( check it out here ), I was intimidated. After all, her students are in high school and have a rock star teacher.  I think I read the transcript twenty times before finally trying it.  Here's h

Writing an Essay...with a Partner

I love technology for collaboration! Teaching writing to middle school students is not easy.  All students come with different skills and knowledge.  With 35 students in a class, it's impossible to sit down one on one and assist students with the writing process.  Teaching students to write a literary analysis is particularly challenging because most seventh-graders have little, to no experience.  Students need to learn to  develop a thesis statement, find evidence from the text to support it, provide the context of the selected quotations , and write insightful commentary on the evidence they selected. Remember, these kiddos are twelve! Graphic organizers are particularly helpful to these young writers. The biggest challenge is providing feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after they turn their work in for a grade.  Students need to be able to use the feedback they receive and see the difference it makes in the final product.  I was adamant that I was not go

The Outsiders

Anyone else remember reading The Outsiders in middle school?  I remember reading it in 7th grade in 1981. Oh how I loved that book!  Then came the movie!  Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Leif Garret, Matt Dillon, and Patrick Swayze were some of the actors in this Francis Ford Coppola film.  I have to admit that it was a little depressing this year when I mentioned that Tom Cruise was in the movie, and only one student said, "I think I have heard of him."   Yet, here it is 2014 and my students are enjoying this book as much as I did.  On the surface the book is about two rival "gangs," the Socs and the Greasers.  However, the book is about so much more.  It is about stereotypes and prejudging people.  It's about true friendship, family, and loyalty.  It's about courage and growing up.  That makes it the perfect book for middle schoolers. I started off the unit with a web quest about the 1960s to get the students acquainted with the setting of the novel.  They