Skip to main content

Student Poems

As the year comes to a close, I wanted to give my students a create way to reflect on their first year of middle school. Their assignment was to write a poem that captured their year. One requirement was that it be an extended metaphor. I showed them some examples, including a little piece from Shakespeare:

“All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts.”
-Shakespeare’s As You Like It

We also watched Katie Perry's "Firework" and looked at her use of an extended metaphor in the song. That's all the inspiration they needed. Below are some of the poems written by my students. These are first drafts, untouched by me.

My 7th grade year was a jungle.
I staggered through the vines, tripping at every turn.
It became easier, but it was hard to adjust.
Running, panicking, something was chasing me into the dark caverns of math class.
Piles and piles of horrid paper flooded my way,
making it hard to breathe. Image result for jungle
I almost gave up, numbers and letters telling whether or not I would pass or fail my journey.
But as I entered the joy of history class things became chaotic.
Screams and roars, fill the air around me as we venture through the year,
and teachers screech and throw obstacles from every which way.   
I’m struggling, but I can see the end.
As I run to the freedom that awaits me, I am swallowed once again.
The numbers and letters are back but are much more aggressive and intimidating.
I learn to control them, and a sudden clearing appears.
I have made it out, my life ever more complete than before.

Alex W.






My 7th grader year was like the ocean.
I began with pale, white skin, untouched by influential people.
The water was cold, waves smacking my legs.
I almost stepped out of the water but decided to keep pushing through deeper into the ocean
Eventually I got used to the water, no longer feeling cold to me
Once I thought everything was okay, a huge wave toppled over me, submerging me
I was in pain, struggling to get air
Right before giving up, a hand comes and reaches down for me, pulling me above sea level, saving me.
I was no longer alone in thisImage result for ocean
I was surrounded by people that I now love
I love them for saving me, for warning me for the oncoming waves
The water is now smooth again
As I walk out of the water after a long adventure of ups and downs
My skin is golden, kissed by the sun
I am victorious.

by Taylor N


End of the Year Poem
This school year was a solar system,
intimidating at first but rewarding in the end.
We are separated by hundreds of miles,
yet our goals are ultimately the same.
The sun our futures, shining bright.
Us the planets, orbiting the sun.
Around and around and around we go.
The asteroids present challenges,
trying to knock us off our path.
Stars are your teachers, lighting up the dark,
creating a path to follow.
The vastness of space our potential,
infinitely extending in all directions.
Conquering time and space is a daunting task,
however we get through it in anyway possible.
The concept of space is confusing and mysterious,
but somehow people managed to grasp it.
This new year seemed confusing and mysterious at first too,
but somehow we made it through.
This year was a solar system and the future is bright.
The possibilities are endless for us,

much like the universe we are limitless too

by Sophie P




My seventh grade English class was a neighborhood bookshop. Warmed by the faces of returning 
customers, my classmates. Everyone is remembered by the women who runs the shop
and the show. Mrs. Karney.
She knows how they walk, talk, act, and their fascinating interests.
The novels contain needed knowledge presented in an exciting way.
The stress of reading a book before the movie is the pressure of completing piles homework 
My spicy,hot drink is my love for reading and writing,
Always giving me the energy to persevere through challenging situations.
As time goes on and the year comes to a close, the bookshop begins to age.
The candles burn down and children check­out.
The owners fear of being forgotten, all the hard work put into new situations. However the constant 
opening and closing hours are a continuous routine. As children become adolescents
Adolescent, teens
And teens adults

Everyone will remember their time spent at the neighboring bookshop

Kayla R.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TQE: Get students Engaged and Digging Deep

I've mentioned before how Twitter has helped me grow as an educator.  Edutwitter is a valuable resource for book recommendations, new teaching methods, lessons, and articles.  One of my favorite educators to follow is Marissa Thompson, a high school teacher at Carlsbad High. This summer I read about her TQE(thoughts, questions, epiphanies) method for discussing literature.  I'd always longed for having discussions like the ones I had in my college literature courses, but when I try fishbowl or Socratic seminar with my students, the discussions felt forced, flat, and awkward. That changed today when I tried TQE for the first time.  Sharing homework in small groups Students writing their TQEs on the board When I listened to Marissa's podcast on Cult of Pedagogy ( check it out here ), I was intimidated. After all, her students are in high school and have a rock star teacher.  I think I read the transcript twenty times before finally trying it.  Here's h

Writing an Essay...with a Partner

I love technology for collaboration! Teaching writing to middle school students is not easy.  All students come with different skills and knowledge.  With 35 students in a class, it's impossible to sit down one on one and assist students with the writing process.  Teaching students to write a literary analysis is particularly challenging because most seventh-graders have little, to no experience.  Students need to learn to  develop a thesis statement, find evidence from the text to support it, provide the context of the selected quotations , and write insightful commentary on the evidence they selected. Remember, these kiddos are twelve! Graphic organizers are particularly helpful to these young writers. The biggest challenge is providing feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after they turn their work in for a grade.  Students need to be able to use the feedback they receive and see the difference it makes in the final product.  I was adamant that I was not go

The Outsiders

Anyone else remember reading The Outsiders in middle school?  I remember reading it in 7th grade in 1981. Oh how I loved that book!  Then came the movie!  Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Leif Garret, Matt Dillon, and Patrick Swayze were some of the actors in this Francis Ford Coppola film.  I have to admit that it was a little depressing this year when I mentioned that Tom Cruise was in the movie, and only one student said, "I think I have heard of him."   Yet, here it is 2014 and my students are enjoying this book as much as I did.  On the surface the book is about two rival "gangs," the Socs and the Greasers.  However, the book is about so much more.  It is about stereotypes and prejudging people.  It's about true friendship, family, and loyalty.  It's about courage and growing up.  That makes it the perfect book for middle schoolers. I started off the unit with a web quest about the 1960s to get the students acquainted with the setting of the novel.  They