Skip to main content

Parents Inspire Me

It's 9:58 PM, and I am barely able to keep my eyes open as I watch the last few minutes of Housewives of Beverly Hills (don't judge me).  My son walks into my room and shoves a piece of paper and a pencil under my nose. "Mom, I need you to sign this."  I ask him what it is, barely able to form a sentence.  He says, "A permission slip for a movie we are going to watch in class."  I scarcely look at the paper and scrawl my name on the bottom.

Next semester, we will begin with Book Clubs.  I have numerous board approved books, but many students ask if they can read a different book.  I decided a few years ago that I would give it a shot, and it proved to be a good decision.  Students are much more engaged when they pick the book! However, I require all students to get a permission slip and encourage parents to really look over the book carefully to make sure it is appropriate for their child.  I say "appropriate for their child" because every child is different.   For example, what is scary to one child, may not be scary to another.  Parents know their child best, and it is up to them to decide what they deem appropriate.

A few days ago, a parent wrote me an email expressing concern over her daughter's book choice.  She had gone to commonsensemedia.org and read quite a bit about the content of the book.  I could definitely understand her concern.  I was not annoyed; I was touched-touched that a mother would take the time to actually research the book before making a decision.  She asked my opinion, and it was hard for me to answer.  Although I know her daughter as a student (an absolute jewel), I don't know her like her mother.  

The next day in class, I made sure to let the class that a few students might have to change books (NEVER make a student feel like they are the ONLY one).  I mentioned how fortunate they were to have parents who cared so much about them,  I mentioned that, after all, they were only 12, and it's up to parents to do what they feel is in the best interest of their child.  When I glanced over at the child whose mom had written me, I could swear I saw a faint smile.  

The mother ended up agreeing to allow her daughter to read the book.  She wrote, "This entire process has been a good learning experience for XXXXXX in many ways.  I have talked to her about the content, she has looked at the reviews on the CSM website, and she is aware to come to us with any questions.
Thanks for you help and guidance!"  

All I can say, is I was deeply touched by this parent and the relationship she has with her daughter.  Obviously it is one filled with communication, guidance, and love.  Parents like this are why my students are so amazing!  Parents like this make me feel guilty about signing that permission slip without reading it carefully. Parents like this make me want to do better!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TQE: Get students Engaged and Digging Deep

I've mentioned before how Twitter has helped me grow as an educator.  Edutwitter is a valuable resource for book recommendations, new teaching methods, lessons, and articles.  One of my favorite educators to follow is Marissa Thompson, a high school teacher at Carlsbad High. This summer I read about her TQE(thoughts, questions, epiphanies) method for discussing literature.  I'd always longed for having discussions like the ones I had in my college literature courses, but when I try fishbowl or Socratic seminar with my students, the discussions felt forced, flat, and awkward. That changed today when I tried TQE for the first time.  Sharing homework in small groups Students writing their TQEs on the board When I listened to Marissa's podcast on Cult of Pedagogy ( check it out here ), I was intimidated. After all, her students are in high school and have a rock star teacher.  I think I read the transcript twenty times before finally trying it.  Here's h

Writing an Essay...with a Partner

I love technology for collaboration! Teaching writing to middle school students is not easy.  All students come with different skills and knowledge.  With 35 students in a class, it's impossible to sit down one on one and assist students with the writing process.  Teaching students to write a literary analysis is particularly challenging because most seventh-graders have little, to no experience.  Students need to learn to  develop a thesis statement, find evidence from the text to support it, provide the context of the selected quotations , and write insightful commentary on the evidence they selected. Remember, these kiddos are twelve! Graphic organizers are particularly helpful to these young writers. The biggest challenge is providing feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after they turn their work in for a grade.  Students need to be able to use the feedback they receive and see the difference it makes in the final product.  I was adamant that I was not go

The Outsiders

Anyone else remember reading The Outsiders in middle school?  I remember reading it in 7th grade in 1981. Oh how I loved that book!  Then came the movie!  Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Leif Garret, Matt Dillon, and Patrick Swayze were some of the actors in this Francis Ford Coppola film.  I have to admit that it was a little depressing this year when I mentioned that Tom Cruise was in the movie, and only one student said, "I think I have heard of him."   Yet, here it is 2014 and my students are enjoying this book as much as I did.  On the surface the book is about two rival "gangs," the Socs and the Greasers.  However, the book is about so much more.  It is about stereotypes and prejudging people.  It's about true friendship, family, and loyalty.  It's about courage and growing up.  That makes it the perfect book for middle schoolers. I started off the unit with a web quest about the 1960s to get the students acquainted with the setting of the novel.  They