Skip to main content

Stations for Student Engagement

Several years ago I tried using stations in my classroom.  The students loved the idea of rotating around the room and completing a variety of activities. I thought it went pretty well, but when reflecting on the stations themselves, I realized I needed to make some changes. One of the challenges with stations is making sure that each activity takes the same amount time as the other activities.  You don't want one group finished when another  just started.  You also need enough stations so that none of them are too crowded.  

This time I started preparing three weeks ago!  I decided that six stations would be a good number. We just finished reading chapter 4 of The Outsiders, so most of our stations focus on the novel.

If you are thinking of trying this, make sure you have each station labeled with all necessary items handy for students. Also, I made several copies of the directions for each station and put them in sheet protectors.  Finally, you really need to walk around and check in with students. For example, I found it helpful to touch base with the group reading the article and provide them with a little background knowledge. I also modeled using the sentence starters for the discussion group.  I did not have students rotate as a group. I allowed them to choose their next station.  I wanted them to have the opportunity to work with a variety of students.

Station 1-Graffiti Wall-Students selected two quotes from The Outsiders that addressed our essential questions for the novel. They had to write them on the "wall" and then respond thoughtfully to two other quotes.  


Station 2-Group Discussion-I made copies of the essential questions for the novel, as well as sentence starters for them to use during the discussion. Afterwards, they had to write a reflection on the discussion in their notebooks.

Station 3- Tableau- This was a student favorite. Each group had to choose three scenes that they felt were important from the novel and create a frozen tableau depicting the scene.  They had to take a picture of each scene and post it to our class Padlet with an explanation of their scenes.
Planning their Tableau


Station 4-Non-fiction Article/Found Poem-Students read a heartwarming article how a football team from a private school embraced a football team from a juvenile detention center. This article complements the novel perfectly.Then they cut out words from the article to create a poem that captured the message/essence of the article. The station did not allow enough time for them to finish (which I knew would be the case) so I provided envelopes for them to put their words in when it was time to rotate. We finished this activity as a class.
Student Sample of Found Poem


Station 5-"Nothing Gold Can Stay"- This poem appears in our next chapter. I wanted kids to have a little background knowledge before seeing it in the book. They watched two videos. The first video set the poem to music with images that help interpret the literal meaning of the poem. The other video took them through a five minute analysis of the poem.  Finally, they had to draw an image which they felt symbolized the deeper meaning of the poem.

Station 6-Subjects and Predicates-Students watched a short Schoolhouse Rock video on subjects and predicates. I asked them to take a few notes. They then played a game on Quia which is a bit like Who Wants to be a Millionaire.  

Once we finished, students completed a Google Form reflecting on each station and how they felt about the stations. Almost all gave positive reviews. A few said they didn't have time to finish everything at the station. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TQE: Get students Engaged and Digging Deep

I've mentioned before how Twitter has helped me grow as an educator.  Edutwitter is a valuable resource for book recommendations, new teaching methods, lessons, and articles.  One of my favorite educators to follow is Marissa Thompson, a high school teacher at Carlsbad High. This summer I read about her TQE(thoughts, questions, epiphanies) method for discussing literature.  I'd always longed for having discussions like the ones I had in my college literature courses, but when I try fishbowl or Socratic seminar with my students, the discussions felt forced, flat, and awkward. That changed today when I tried TQE for the first time.  Sharing homework in small groups Students writing their TQEs on the board When I listened to Marissa's podcast on Cult of Pedagogy ( check it out here ), I was intimidated. After all, her students are in high school and have a rock star teacher.  I think I read the transcript twenty times before finally trying it.  Here's h

Writing an Essay...with a Partner

I love technology for collaboration! Teaching writing to middle school students is not easy.  All students come with different skills and knowledge.  With 35 students in a class, it's impossible to sit down one on one and assist students with the writing process.  Teaching students to write a literary analysis is particularly challenging because most seventh-graders have little, to no experience.  Students need to learn to  develop a thesis statement, find evidence from the text to support it, provide the context of the selected quotations , and write insightful commentary on the evidence they selected. Remember, these kiddos are twelve! Graphic organizers are particularly helpful to these young writers. The biggest challenge is providing feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after they turn their work in for a grade.  Students need to be able to use the feedback they receive and see the difference it makes in the final product.  I was adamant that I was not go

The Outsiders

Anyone else remember reading The Outsiders in middle school?  I remember reading it in 7th grade in 1981. Oh how I loved that book!  Then came the movie!  Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Leif Garret, Matt Dillon, and Patrick Swayze were some of the actors in this Francis Ford Coppola film.  I have to admit that it was a little depressing this year when I mentioned that Tom Cruise was in the movie, and only one student said, "I think I have heard of him."   Yet, here it is 2014 and my students are enjoying this book as much as I did.  On the surface the book is about two rival "gangs," the Socs and the Greasers.  However, the book is about so much more.  It is about stereotypes and prejudging people.  It's about true friendship, family, and loyalty.  It's about courage and growing up.  That makes it the perfect book for middle schoolers. I started off the unit with a web quest about the 1960s to get the students acquainted with the setting of the novel.  They