Skip to main content

I Agree: Ditch that Homework


I have been on both ends of the homework equation, teacher and parent. As a teacher, I have assigned it countless times, but it never felt right. Most of the time I felt guilty for assigning it but felt I had to.  I mean, kids spend six hours a day in school. Shouldn't we be able to get our job done in that amount of time?  Shouldn't kids get to go home and spend time with their families, play sports, go to youth group,  play outside, surf, and relax? As a teacher, I've been irritated and frustrated when students did not complete it. I've heard some of the following:


  • I lost it
  • I was sick last night
  • I fell asleep
  • I forgot how to do it
  • I had soccer practice until 9
  • My grandma is in the hospital
  • I had too much math homework
  • My maid threw it away
  • I forgot it
  • Our internet was down
  • My dog ate it (the student handed me paper with tooth marks)
Unfortunately, sometimes my lesson for that day was dependent on students completing their homework. If they didn't have it, they couldn't participate.  Now, who do you think is least likely to complete homework?  Yep! Those with busy parents (nobody to hover over them or assist them) and those who have never "done school" very well.  So what does assigning homework do? It allows those students grades to suffer. The students who do their homework are the students who will do well regardless.

  Many years ago I read a book by Alfie Kohn called The Homework Myth, and it supported everything I had always felt about homework.   I also read The Case Against Homework by Sara Bennett and Nancy Kalish. Again, more validation! My current read is Ditch that Homework by Alice Keeler.  Numerous articles have been published giving credence to the claim that assigning homework does not propel students to academic success.  There is no correlation between homework and student performance.  There is very little evidence to support assigning homework in middle school either!  I would argue that homework is detrimental in all grades because of the negative effect it has on how students feel about school.  
Proponents of homework argue that it prepares students for college, teaches them responsibility, and allows them to practice what they learned in class. My son just finished his freshman year at San Diego State and managed to do very well academically. When I asked him how many hours a week he spent doing homework, he said that it was ten hours at the most.  That's less than some elementary school students! After I had my first baby, I was surviving on about four hours of sleep. Should I have started depriving myself of sleep in preparation for motherhood?  Heck no! In regards to teaching students responsibility, that is a ridiculous reason. I can teach my children responsibility just fine all by myself!  They can do their laundry, vacuum, pick up dog poop, and participate in a variety of activities (sports, church, jobs) that require responsibility.  Oh, but they need PRACTICE!  Okay, but why can't that be done in class?  That way the teacher is there to assist them with any questions!  Catlin Tucker, the author of Blended Learning, encourages teachers to try using stations in their classrooms. This allows the teacher to provide feedback to a small group of students and answer questions they may have.    

As a parent, I have always despised and resented my own children having homework, especially in elementary and middle school.  Many times the assignments involved me having to spend money at Michaels, scrounge up a shoe box, or sign a reading log (don't get me started on reading logs). Other times, one of my kids would be in tears at 9:00 at night because he was tired but still had ten more math problems left to do.   Here's another reason I don't like homework: it can lead to grade inflation.  Last year my son took chemistry. He completed all of his homework but earned Ds or Fs on almost all of his tests. He still managed to pass the class!  Does that seem right?  I think not!
Unfortunately, some students and parents equate homework with rigor.  For example, last year I told one of my students that he should take Honors English next year.  His response was, "I don't know. I don't want a lot of homework."  That is what some people think honors should be--more homework.  No, it should be different work!  In fact, if teachers were willing to personalize learning, we could eliminate honors and challenge ALL students. In my opinion, teachers need to rethink what we do in class, as well as how we do it.  This will allow our students more time for practice and feedback, as well as the possibility of eliminating homework!    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TQE: Get students Engaged and Digging Deep

I've mentioned before how Twitter has helped me grow as an educator.  Edutwitter is a valuable resource for book recommendations, new teaching methods, lessons, and articles.  One of my favorite educators to follow is Marissa Thompson, a high school teacher at Carlsbad High. This summer I read about her TQE(thoughts, questions, epiphanies) method for discussing literature.  I'd always longed for having discussions like the ones I had in my college literature courses, but when I try fishbowl or Socratic seminar with my students, the discussions felt forced, flat, and awkward. That changed today when I tried TQE for the first time.  Sharing homework in small groups Students writing their TQEs on the board When I listened to Marissa's podcast on Cult of Pedagogy ( check it out here ), I was intimidated. After all, her students are in high school and have a rock star teacher.  I think I read the transcript twenty times before finally trying it.  Here's h

Writing an Essay...with a Partner

I love technology for collaboration! Teaching writing to middle school students is not easy.  All students come with different skills and knowledge.  With 35 students in a class, it's impossible to sit down one on one and assist students with the writing process.  Teaching students to write a literary analysis is particularly challenging because most seventh-graders have little, to no experience.  Students need to learn to  develop a thesis statement, find evidence from the text to support it, provide the context of the selected quotations , and write insightful commentary on the evidence they selected. Remember, these kiddos are twelve! Graphic organizers are particularly helpful to these young writers. The biggest challenge is providing feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after they turn their work in for a grade.  Students need to be able to use the feedback they receive and see the difference it makes in the final product.  I was adamant that I was not go

The Outsiders

Anyone else remember reading The Outsiders in middle school?  I remember reading it in 7th grade in 1981. Oh how I loved that book!  Then came the movie!  Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Leif Garret, Matt Dillon, and Patrick Swayze were some of the actors in this Francis Ford Coppola film.  I have to admit that it was a little depressing this year when I mentioned that Tom Cruise was in the movie, and only one student said, "I think I have heard of him."   Yet, here it is 2014 and my students are enjoying this book as much as I did.  On the surface the book is about two rival "gangs," the Socs and the Greasers.  However, the book is about so much more.  It is about stereotypes and prejudging people.  It's about true friendship, family, and loyalty.  It's about courage and growing up.  That makes it the perfect book for middle schoolers. I started off the unit with a web quest about the 1960s to get the students acquainted with the setting of the novel.  They