Skip to main content

Student Writing Comes to LIfe



This is our first year offering Creative Writing, and it is my first time teaching it.  When I proposed the idea to my principal, we thought it would be best to make the class a semester-long and pair it with Beginning Drama.  At the semester, the kids in drama will go to writing and the kids in writing will go to drama.  This will allow students to "try" both electives.  The drama teacher and I thought it would be fun to collaborate on a project together, and it was a huge success.

First, I taught my students how to write a scene.  We discussed the elements of writing a scene, looked at examples, brainstormed ideas, and practiced writing a few.  Once students were ready, they worked in a group to write a scene on their own.  They were encouraged to have just two or three characters in their scene.  Students spent quite a bit of time on this project and received feedback from their classmates on several occasions. Writing groups worked perfectly, but students also read their scenes to the class and received kudos and suggestions.  Eventually, students shared their scene with me in Google, and I provided feedback.  Finally, they printed out their final drafts.  

Then, we made the pilgrimage down to the drama room where we watched the drama students perform Shakespeare scenes. As my students watched the scenes, they sat with their groups and evaluated the actors to see whom they would like to cast for their scene!  We came back to class where I had my students write the name of their scene on a piece of paper. If their scene had two characters, they got two pieces of paper, if it has three, they got three.  I put the papers in a bowl. I pulled a paper out and that group got to cast their first actor. This seemed to be the fairest way to go about this, and it seemed to work out just fine!  Then, I sent our choices over to the drama teacher, along with our scripts. Her students began to rehearse our scenes.  

The following week we paid another visit to the drama room where my students served as "directors" of their scenes. Some gave suggestions for how a particular line could be delivered, what props might be used, or what a character could be doing when delivering a line.They had a blast. They loved having this power!



Finally, on November 17th, the drama students performed our scenes in Cougar Hall. Several classes attended, as well as parents and teachers.  My students introduced their scenes to the audience and then became a part of the audience!  I was so proud of my students, and the drama students did a stellar job. A frequent comment I heard was, "They performed my scene better than I ever imagined!" Giving students an audience for their writing is so important, and I definitely want to discover even more ways to make this happen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TQE: Get students Engaged and Digging Deep

I've mentioned before how Twitter has helped me grow as an educator.  Edutwitter is a valuable resource for book recommendations, new teaching methods, lessons, and articles.  One of my favorite educators to follow is Marissa Thompson, a high school teacher at Carlsbad High. This summer I read about her TQE(thoughts, questions, epiphanies) method for discussing literature.  I'd always longed for having discussions like the ones I had in my college literature courses, but when I try fishbowl or Socratic seminar with my students, the discussions felt forced, flat, and awkward. That changed today when I tried TQE for the first time.  Sharing homework in small groups Students writing their TQEs on the board When I listened to Marissa's podcast on Cult of Pedagogy ( check it out here ), I was intimidated. After all, her students are in high school and have a rock star teacher.  I think I read the transcript twenty times before finally trying it.  Here's h

Writing an Essay...with a Partner

I love technology for collaboration! Teaching writing to middle school students is not easy.  All students come with different skills and knowledge.  With 35 students in a class, it's impossible to sit down one on one and assist students with the writing process.  Teaching students to write a literary analysis is particularly challenging because most seventh-graders have little, to no experience.  Students need to learn to  develop a thesis statement, find evidence from the text to support it, provide the context of the selected quotations , and write insightful commentary on the evidence they selected. Remember, these kiddos are twelve! Graphic organizers are particularly helpful to these young writers. The biggest challenge is providing feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after they turn their work in for a grade.  Students need to be able to use the feedback they receive and see the difference it makes in the final product.  I was adamant that I was not go

The Outsiders

Anyone else remember reading The Outsiders in middle school?  I remember reading it in 7th grade in 1981. Oh how I loved that book!  Then came the movie!  Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Leif Garret, Matt Dillon, and Patrick Swayze were some of the actors in this Francis Ford Coppola film.  I have to admit that it was a little depressing this year when I mentioned that Tom Cruise was in the movie, and only one student said, "I think I have heard of him."   Yet, here it is 2014 and my students are enjoying this book as much as I did.  On the surface the book is about two rival "gangs," the Socs and the Greasers.  However, the book is about so much more.  It is about stereotypes and prejudging people.  It's about true friendship, family, and loyalty.  It's about courage and growing up.  That makes it the perfect book for middle schoolers. I started off the unit with a web quest about the 1960s to get the students acquainted with the setting of the novel.  They