Skip to main content

Passion Projects


I have been reading quite a bit about Genius Hour and Twenty Time the past few years.  I have been wanting to try it with my students,  but quite honestly, I was scared.  How would I monitor what students were doing?  How would I grade them? How would I help them be successful? I decided to quit worrying and jump in.  
My dog modeling her bandana that I bought to support my student's project.

I have been trying so hard this year to take the emphasis OFF grades and points and on learning and engagement. It has taken awhile, but I think my students are finally getting it.  I introduced the idea of Passion Projects to my students in December.  The main requirement is that they were passionate about their topic and had a desire to find out something new about that topic.  I also emphasized that the journey was more important than the final product.  How else would I encourage students to take risks?

Because I use stations in my classroom, it was easy to carve out a time for students to work on their projects in class.  Although I do not assign homework students were expected to spend time out of class working on their projects. Of course, since they were "passionate" about their project I didn't really consider it homework.  
Demonstrating the awesomeness of FlexSeal


Some of the projects were a student:

  • trying to train his cat (hasn't presented yet but can't wait)
  • making and selling dog bandanas and donating the proceeds to the animal shelter
  • teaching and blogging about Down Syndrome (her brother has Downs)
  • demonstrating the FlexSeal product and whether or not it lives up to its commercials
  • writing a variety of types of poetry
  • creating a cooking blog
  • raising money for sports equipment for kids in Africa
  • reviewing local restaurants and publishing them in a blog

Let me say this: Not all of the final projects were a success.  Nope!  Students struggled. Students met roadblocks.  Students got frustrated. Some of the end products were mediocre at best.  Yet, I consider the Passion Project itself a success.  Students emailed businesses.  Some even got rejected!  Students tried to cook a dish. They realized they were missing an ingredient.  Students wanted to blog about fishing spots. Parents wouldn't drive them.  You get the idea.  Yet, I know students learned a lot and enjoyed the opportunity to explore something new with no restrictions.  They realized it's okay to fail. It's part of learning.  

Rather than "grade" the students on their final product, they were graded on their "journey" and presentation.  However, I had THEM fill out the rubric.  Let me say this: Students are hard on themselves.  

I have countless ideas of how to make this better next year.  Of course, I will be asking my students for ideas too.  In hindsight, rolling out the Passion Project with my students was MY Passion Project.  Did I struggle? Yes.  Did I face obstacles? Yes. Were the final products perfect? No.  Did I learn something? Yes!  I call that a success. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TQE: Get students Engaged and Digging Deep

I've mentioned before how Twitter has helped me grow as an educator.  Edutwitter is a valuable resource for book recommendations, new teaching methods, lessons, and articles.  One of my favorite educators to follow is Marissa Thompson, a high school teacher at Carlsbad High. This summer I read about her TQE(thoughts, questions, epiphanies) method for discussing literature.  I'd always longed for having discussions like the ones I had in my college literature courses, but when I try fishbowl or Socratic seminar with my students, the discussions felt forced, flat, and awkward. That changed today when I tried TQE for the first time.  Sharing homework in small groups Students writing their TQEs on the board When I listened to Marissa's podcast on Cult of Pedagogy ( check it out here ), I was intimidated. After all, her students are in high school and have a rock star teacher.  I think I read the transcript twenty times before finally trying it.  Here's h

The Outsiders

Anyone else remember reading The Outsiders in middle school?  I remember reading it in 7th grade in 1981. Oh how I loved that book!  Then came the movie!  Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Leif Garret, Matt Dillon, and Patrick Swayze were some of the actors in this Francis Ford Coppola film.  I have to admit that it was a little depressing this year when I mentioned that Tom Cruise was in the movie, and only one student said, "I think I have heard of him."   Yet, here it is 2014 and my students are enjoying this book as much as I did.  On the surface the book is about two rival "gangs," the Socs and the Greasers.  However, the book is about so much more.  It is about stereotypes and prejudging people.  It's about true friendship, family, and loyalty.  It's about courage and growing up.  That makes it the perfect book for middle schoolers. I started off the unit with a web quest about the 1960s to get the students acquainted with the setting of the novel.  They

Writing an Essay...with a Partner

I love technology for collaboration! Teaching writing to middle school students is not easy.  All students come with different skills and knowledge.  With 35 students in a class, it's impossible to sit down one on one and assist students with the writing process.  Teaching students to write a literary analysis is particularly challenging because most seventh-graders have little, to no experience.  Students need to learn to  develop a thesis statement, find evidence from the text to support it, provide the context of the selected quotations , and write insightful commentary on the evidence they selected. Remember, these kiddos are twelve! Graphic organizers are particularly helpful to these young writers. The biggest challenge is providing feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after they turn their work in for a grade.  Students need to be able to use the feedback they receive and see the difference it makes in the final product.  I was adamant that I was not go