Skip to main content

Time to Reflect



This is the time of year when I am already planning for next year.  What went well?  What didn't?  How can I make next year even better than this year?  I find myself being pretty critical of myself.  My goals this year were to give no homework and provide more feedback to students AS they worked, rather than waiting until they turned in an assignment for a grade.  I wanted to make more connections my students, create a student-friendly environment, and make every student feel love and respected.  Finally, I changed my policies and accepted all late work with no penalty and allowed students to redo/retake any assignment or quiz for a higher grade.  Here is what I learned:

1) No Homework-My students loved this (94.5% according to my survey).  I found that I had to rethink everything I did in class to make this work.  I incorporated stations, which helped tremendously.  The most challenging aspect was trying to get all of the reading of novels completed in class, but we did it!  According to the students, I was the topic of conversation among some of their other teachers. One teacher stated, "Oh good. Mrs. Karney doesn't assign homework.  That means I can assign more."  URGH! Some people don't get it.  Also, there were a few kids who struggled to finish assignments in the allotted class time. Some of them ended up finishing at home or during CAT. Most importantly,
I noticed that my students arrived in my class happy, enthusiastic, and rarely stressed.  This was refreshing.  I am curious to know what parents thought and will likely be sending a survey home for them to complete. 

2) Feedback as Students Worked, Not Just After-I feel great about this!  When students are required to complete work in class, I am able to circulate non-stop and provide feedback. If work is done at home, I am not there to help.  I have learned NOT to sit at my desk and ask students to come to me with questions.  The same students will always come.  It makes much more sense to walk around and continuously check in with students, read what they have written, provide feedback, and move to the next student.  That way they get feedback whether they want it or not!  Many students are too shy to ask questions or don't know what to ask!  Giving feedback AS student work means that what is turned in to me at the end is much better than it would have been.  This makes life easier  and happier for everyone.


3) Students Connections/Student Friendly Environment-On a scale of 1-10, I'd give myself an 8.  My goal was to incorporate flexible seating, and thanks to my students' wonderful parents and the kindness of strangers, I succeeded. We have yoga balls, bistro tables with bar stools, bungee chairs, and more.  I try to have upbeat music playing when students walk in, and I make a point to connect with every student each day.  My room even smells good because I bought diffuser which allows me to use essential oils. The reason I did not give myself a 10 is because I did not roll out the flexible seating as well as I could have.  I should have spent more time communicating my expectations to student  regarding the new seating choices.  Currently, our yoga balls are off limits.  Several students seemed to be determined to hit their heads on the ceiling while bouncing on them.   I also need to be a little firmer with students. This has always been a struggle for me because I love my them so much. I sometimes find some of their antics funny when I should probably be reprimanding them :(  
When I saw the results in my survey about whether or not student perceived that I care about them, I got tears in my eyes.  





r



4) New Grading Practices/Policies-I would consider this a success. The challenge was getting students and parents to understand that grades are fluid and can always be raised no matter how bad!  On occasion, I would receive a panicked email from a parent or student about the student's current grade.  For example, a student might have an A in my class.  However, the student did not turn in an essay worth 30 points when it is "due".  That students grade plummets to a D.  Yet, as SOON as the student turns in the work, the grade will likely go back to an A since I do not have a penalty for late work.  I spent quite a bit of time reassuring students and parents, but I think they finally got it (even though it's almost May).  I believe my new policies and practices benefit all students, and I plan on continuing them next year.  What I love is that students know that there is no reason to EVER give up! There is always hope!  My policies also benefit those students who may need extra time to complete an assignment, whether or not they have been identified as needing an IEP.

So why do I write these blog posts?  I do not even know who my audience is or what people may think of them.  The main reason I write them is  for me!  I love taking time to reflect on lessons and practices.  I am also passionate about education and my students and enjoy sharing my journey with others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TQE: Get students Engaged and Digging Deep

I've mentioned before how Twitter has helped me grow as an educator.  Edutwitter is a valuable resource for book recommendations, new teaching methods, lessons, and articles.  One of my favorite educators to follow is Marissa Thompson, a high school teacher at Carlsbad High. This summer I read about her TQE(thoughts, questions, epiphanies) method for discussing literature.  I'd always longed for having discussions like the ones I had in my college literature courses, but when I try fishbowl or Socratic seminar with my students, the discussions felt forced, flat, and awkward. That changed today when I tried TQE for the first time.  Sharing homework in small groups Students writing their TQEs on the board When I listened to Marissa's podcast on Cult of Pedagogy ( check it out here ), I was intimidated. After all, her students are in high school and have a rock star teacher.  I think I read the transcript twenty times before finally trying it.  Here's h

Writing an Essay...with a Partner

I love technology for collaboration! Teaching writing to middle school students is not easy.  All students come with different skills and knowledge.  With 35 students in a class, it's impossible to sit down one on one and assist students with the writing process.  Teaching students to write a literary analysis is particularly challenging because most seventh-graders have little, to no experience.  Students need to learn to  develop a thesis statement, find evidence from the text to support it, provide the context of the selected quotations , and write insightful commentary on the evidence they selected. Remember, these kiddos are twelve! Graphic organizers are particularly helpful to these young writers. The biggest challenge is providing feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after they turn their work in for a grade.  Students need to be able to use the feedback they receive and see the difference it makes in the final product.  I was adamant that I was not go

The Outsiders

Anyone else remember reading The Outsiders in middle school?  I remember reading it in 7th grade in 1981. Oh how I loved that book!  Then came the movie!  Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Leif Garret, Matt Dillon, and Patrick Swayze were some of the actors in this Francis Ford Coppola film.  I have to admit that it was a little depressing this year when I mentioned that Tom Cruise was in the movie, and only one student said, "I think I have heard of him."   Yet, here it is 2014 and my students are enjoying this book as much as I did.  On the surface the book is about two rival "gangs," the Socs and the Greasers.  However, the book is about so much more.  It is about stereotypes and prejudging people.  It's about true friendship, family, and loyalty.  It's about courage and growing up.  That makes it the perfect book for middle schoolers. I started off the unit with a web quest about the 1960s to get the students acquainted with the setting of the novel.  They