Skip to main content

Shifting to Standards-Based Grading

I have written about grades before (January 2017).  Yet, I think it is a topic worth revisiting.  This summer I have been reading numerous books and articles about grading practices, and it has led me to want to revamp my practices even more than I already have.  Grades, in my opinion, should reflect a student's mastery of standards and skills.  They should not reflect compliance. They may or may not reflect effort.  However, with effort, all students should be able to be successful. So, what do I believe needs to happen?
MY SUMMER READING


1) Allow students opportunities to redo, revise, and retake.  Yes, that includes tests.   Oh, and don't average the first test with the retake.  Give the student the highest score.  Some may argue that this isn't fair; the student should have studied harder the first time.  Well, some students don't learn in the same way or at the same pace as other students.  They are already having to spend more time studying and retaking the exam; that is enough of a consequence.  

2) Allow students to turn in late work.  Oh, and don't take off points if something is turned in late.  Again, are we grading compliance?  A few years ago I was a real stickler about NOT accepting late work.  Why?  I thought I was teaching kids responsibility.  Instead, I was teaching them how easy it was to get out of doing something. 

3) Provide more feedback as students are working and before they turn something in for a grade.  This was a goal I set for myself last year, and it was the best thing I EVER did.  When students are working on a group project, walk around.  Ask them questions about their work, point out ways they could improve, and even teach a mini-lesson on the fly.  When students are writing essays, meet with them in small groups and give feedback.  This can be done through Google or just sitting next to a student and talking with them. GRADES are NOT feedback.  

4) IF you do give homework, make sure it is meaningful and equitable. Although I am not a fan of homework, I know some teachers feel otherwise.  If only I had all the money that I spent on school projects for my own kids, we could all go to Ruth's Chris for dinner...every night for a month!  Homework should not cost money.  It should not require parents.  It should not make children cry.  It should not take hours. It should not count towards a grade.  It should be either practice or enrichment.  

5) Extra credit should not be a thing.  I want my class to be about learning, not credit.  If a student does not have the grade he wants, it is due to the lack of mastery of a skill or standard.  As a teacher, I can show the student where he is deficient and either help him revise a former assignment to show mastery or even come up with a new way for him to show mastery.  Some teachers give extra credit for bringing in Kleenex boxes, watching a curriculum related film outside of class, or even turning in unused bathroom passes at the end of the semester (don't get me started).  None of these reflect mastery of a skill or standard.  

6) Provide opportunities for students to reflect and assess their own work. Give students a rubric and have them assess their own work.  Have them write you a letter justifying the grade they think they should receive. I have found that students are often harder on themselves than I am. 

7) Provide feedback without a grade. Fill out the rubric, but do not put a letter grade. Have students read over your comments then conference with them regarding the grade they believe they've earned.  Of course, they can STILL revise for a better grade! 

8) Communicate learning targets. Tell students ahead of time what it is they are expected to learn and be able to do.  Give them ample opportunities to practice skills before assessing them. Do not grade the practice.  Instead, like a good coach, give feedback instead. 

9) Get rid of the A+. I know some teachers will disagree, but I am not a fan of the A+.  When I go to a restaurant, I look to see the health rating.  If I see an A, I feel fairly confident that I won't die if I eat there.  Yet, what if the health department could give an A+ score? Guess what? I would no longer feel too excited about eating in a restaurant with an A rating. An A grade means exemplary.  What is better than exemplary?  Besides, the potential to earn an A+ turns students into point mongers who offer to bring Kleenex.

10) Never let a student feel like they might as well give up.  With the traditional 100 point scale, it's easy for students to feel defeated early on.  After all, if they earn a perfect score on a test and a 50% on the next, they are already staring at a C. A four-point grading scale is much better.  

Although I know switching to this new system is going to be more work for me, I am excited. It is better for students.  

Here is a link to the Wakelet I created. It includes the books, videos, podcasts, and articles I used to make my decision.

Letter to send to parents

Slide show I created to share with my principal




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TQE: Get students Engaged and Digging Deep

I've mentioned before how Twitter has helped me grow as an educator.  Edutwitter is a valuable resource for book recommendations, new teaching methods, lessons, and articles.  One of my favorite educators to follow is Marissa Thompson, a high school teacher at Carlsbad High. This summer I read about her TQE(thoughts, questions, epiphanies) method for discussing literature.  I'd always longed for having discussions like the ones I had in my college literature courses, but when I try fishbowl or Socratic seminar with my students, the discussions felt forced, flat, and awkward. That changed today when I tried TQE for the first time.  Sharing homework in small groups Students writing their TQEs on the board When I listened to Marissa's podcast on Cult of Pedagogy ( check it out here ), I was intimidated. After all, her students are in high school and have a rock star teacher.  I think I read the transcript twenty times before finally trying it.  Here's h

Writing an Essay...with a Partner

I love technology for collaboration! Teaching writing to middle school students is not easy.  All students come with different skills and knowledge.  With 35 students in a class, it's impossible to sit down one on one and assist students with the writing process.  Teaching students to write a literary analysis is particularly challenging because most seventh-graders have little, to no experience.  Students need to learn to  develop a thesis statement, find evidence from the text to support it, provide the context of the selected quotations , and write insightful commentary on the evidence they selected. Remember, these kiddos are twelve! Graphic organizers are particularly helpful to these young writers. The biggest challenge is providing feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after they turn their work in for a grade.  Students need to be able to use the feedback they receive and see the difference it makes in the final product.  I was adamant that I was not go

The Outsiders

Anyone else remember reading The Outsiders in middle school?  I remember reading it in 7th grade in 1981. Oh how I loved that book!  Then came the movie!  Rob Lowe, Tom Cruise, Leif Garret, Matt Dillon, and Patrick Swayze were some of the actors in this Francis Ford Coppola film.  I have to admit that it was a little depressing this year when I mentioned that Tom Cruise was in the movie, and only one student said, "I think I have heard of him."   Yet, here it is 2014 and my students are enjoying this book as much as I did.  On the surface the book is about two rival "gangs," the Socs and the Greasers.  However, the book is about so much more.  It is about stereotypes and prejudging people.  It's about true friendship, family, and loyalty.  It's about courage and growing up.  That makes it the perfect book for middle schoolers. I started off the unit with a web quest about the 1960s to get the students acquainted with the setting of the novel.  They