Skip to main content

Speaking my Mind about Class Size






Last week on Twitter a teacher lamented over the fact that she had 19 students in her last class of the day and spent "90% of [her] instructional time walking around and redirecting kids to work". I took a screenshot of the tweet and sent it to my department chairs.  I was FURIOUS.  NINETEEN students?  On what planet?  Where?  How?Bitmoji Image

When I first started teaching, I had five English classes.  Four of them were English 12, and I had between 35-39 students per class.  This was also the time of class-size reduction for certain grade levels.  I had one tenth-grade class of 20.  I was lucky to get that because suddenly, every teacher wanted to teach tenth-grade.  This year I have three seventh-grade English classes and two of them are over 33.  Some of our eighth-grade teachers have 39. Yes, you read that right 39.  Thirty-nine hormonal, quirky, energy-filled, needy eighth-graders in one room...with one teacher. Some of our high school English teachers are in the 40s!
                                                                     
Every year our union sends out a form asking us what our top concerns/wishes are for the upcoming year; every year I say smaller class sizes.  I don't want a raise. In fact, I would take a pay cut in order to have smaller classes, especially in my English classes.  No pay raise can make up for the frustration I feel about the inability to do my job the way I should be able to do it. No pay raise can make up for the time I lose with my family because I am providing feedback on student work (mainly writing). No pay raise can make up for the overwhelming stress I feel trying to teach my students to write when I have so many of them. Can I teach 35 students? Yes, I can teach a lesson to 35 students. In fact, I could "teach" 100 students.  But, we are being asked to do a lot more than teach our students English standards.  We are expected to teach social-emotional skills and connect with our students on a personal level. We are expected to know them well enough to answer 150 questions about them on the BASC form periodically sent to us by our school psychologist. We are expected to provide feedback on their writing and prepare them for high school. We are expected to attend their IEP and 504 meetings and provide detailed information about their strengths and weaknesses. I could go on. Finally, imagine trying to "get to" 35 students in a class period.  Many have questions; many need help.

Saturday morning I got up at 7AM to begin giving feedback on my students' essays. My goal is to provide timely, actionable feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after.  It took me over four hours to get through one class. Feedback loses it's effectiveness if it is not received promptly.    I spent another two hours going through those same essays today for the same class.  I plan on giving feedback one more time before students turn them in.  That means I spend a minimum of eight hours providing feedback on one assignment for ONE class. Once students finish their essays, I meet with each student for a writing conference. This is quite difficult with 35 students, especially twelve-year-olds.

Lower class sizes in academic subjects such as English should be a priority for all districts. I have taught drama, Read 180, Academic Success, and EL courses in my twenty-nine years as a teacher. I can tell you that teaching English requires MUCH more work outside of class than any of those subjects!  If districts truly care about students and teachers, they will do whatever it takes to ensure smaller classes, especially in English.  I love my job and students deserve better than what they are getting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TQE: Get students Engaged and Digging Deep

I've mentioned before how Twitter has helped me grow as an educator.  Edutwitter is a valuable resource for book recommendations, new teaching methods, lessons, and articles.  One of my favorite educators to follow is Marissa Thompson, a high school teacher at Carlsbad High. This summer I read about her TQE(thoughts, questions, epiphanies) method for discussing literature.  I'd always longed for having discussions like the ones I had in my college literature courses, but when I try fishbowl or Socratic seminar with my students, the discussions felt forced, flat, and awkward. That changed today when I tried TQE for the first time.  Sharing homework in small groups Students writing their TQEs on the board When I listened to Marissa's podcast on Cult of Pedagogy ( check it out here ), I was intimidated. After all, her students are in high school and have a rock star teacher.  I think I read the transcript twenty times before finally trying it.  Here's h

Writing an Essay...with a Partner

I love technology for collaboration! Teaching writing to middle school students is not easy.  All students come with different skills and knowledge.  With 35 students in a class, it's impossible to sit down one on one and assist students with the writing process.  Teaching students to write a literary analysis is particularly challenging because most seventh-graders have little, to no experience.  Students need to learn to  develop a thesis statement, find evidence from the text to support it, provide the context of the selected quotations , and write insightful commentary on the evidence they selected. Remember, these kiddos are twelve! Graphic organizers are particularly helpful to these young writers. The biggest challenge is providing feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after they turn their work in for a grade.  Students need to be able to use the feedback they receive and see the difference it makes in the final product.  I was adamant that I was not go

Hexagonal Thinking

The last few weeks can be challenging. Keeping students engaged and learning is my mission! When I stumbled upon a post about hexagonal thinking, I knew I had to try it with my students. I am SO glad I did. Although this activity can be done digitally or on paper, I insisted that my students in class do it old school. My goal was for my students to have thoughtful discussions about what we read this year. Here's how it works! First, I came up with a list of key characters and ideas from The Giver, Animal Farm, and The Children's Story. I found this awesome generator on line where I could just type in my words, and it put them in the hexagons for me. Then I printed out the pages (there were three) for each group. I did a copious amount of research before embarking on this activity, and I was shocked by the number of teachers who cut the hexagons out for their students. That would have taken me HOURS. I simply gave each group scissors, and they were done in five minute