Skip to main content

It's Really not All Bad

I have started to write a new blog post many times, but stopped because I could not think of anything I have to say that is different than any other teacher in America right now. Yes, some of the kids won't turn on their cameras. Yes, some of the kids are struggling. Yes, it is hard. But really, in some ways, it isn't that different than what we struggle with when teaching in person. There are always kids who rarely speak, kids who struggle, and it's always hard. As teachers, we are always working to connect with our students and build a sense community. We reach out to those who struggle. That is our job! One of my big concerns with teaching online was whether or not I would "bond" with my students. How would I get to know them? I definitely feel as though I have bonded with them. I LOVE my students this year and feel that I have gotten to know most of them pretty well. Like many of my wonderful colleagues, I put some effort in to make this happen. It started over the summer when I created countless hyperdocs(interactive lessons in Google Slides) for my students. My goal was to make them creative,fun, and engaging. I wanted my students to look at each one and think, "Wow. Our teacher cares about us." That's why I typed Made with ❤️️ by Mrs. Karney on each one. These were truly a labor of love, and I learned SO about Google slides much while creating them. When students enter our Google Meets, I make a point to say hello to each person by name. I notice their new hair cuts. I ask them what they ate for breakfast. Sometimes I have music playing, a question for them to answer in the chat, a funny meme, or optical illusion. Just something to start class on a positive note. One of my struggles was getting students to talk in breakout rooms. Some of my students are experiencing some social anxiety right now and being in a meet with strangers was difficult. I gave them an opportunity to fill out a Google Form and indicate one to three people they would feel comfortable working with. I also gave them a chance to list someone they would prefer not to work with. Then, I created breakout rooms based on their preferences. It took a long time, but it was worth it. Every student got at least one of their picks. Very few students mentioned people they didn't want to work with, but I made sure to meet those requests. Overall, the breakout rooms are going much better. I definitely hear more talking and even some laughing. I make sure to check in with each breakout room at least twice. They often have questions, and I love having the ability to chat with them on a more personal level. Google Classroom is key in regards to being able to have ongoing dialogue with my students. For example, when I return an assignment, I may say "Thanks for turning this in, Johnny. I hope you are enjoying the book so far." They almost always respond with how much they are loving our current book. Another thing that has blown my mind is how often they have THANKED me for my feedback and comments! Recently one of my students decided to revise a summary he had written. I use standards=based grading, and he had gotten a 2 and wanted to improve his score. . I always allow students to revise for a higher grade. Anyhow, I could see on my end that he was in the process of revising, so in real time, I made a comment.
I have been so blown away with how kind and polite my students have been this year. For example, students can post questions in the stream in Google Classroom any time with a question. I sometimes don't see the question until the next day. However, my students always step up and help out with an answer!
They are also advocating for themselves! Here's a lovely email I received from a student today:
This comment was posted randomly in our stream by one of my students, and it made my heart smile!
Finally, I have made an extra effort to reach out to parents and share positive comments with them as much as possible. Who doesn't like to be acknowledged and appreciated? Thursday and Friday were especially exciting for me. I had many students volunteer to read aloud for the class! We are reading The Outsiders, and the students love it. Honestly, I could not have asked for a better group of students to do distance learning with. I look forward to seeing them every day, and I have gotten all of them to turn on their cameras at one point or another. I know that all of my colleagues are working hard to build relationships with their students, and it is SO doable!

Comments

  1. I agree completely! Distance learning hasn't been nearly as cantankerous as I would have imagined at the beginning of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are the best teacher ever! it is so heart-warming how much time you invest in keeping us engaged. you have made so many kids happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! This class, and some of my other classes are my flame of joy in this dark year of lockdown. And yes, it has almost been a whole year!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TQE: Get students Engaged and Digging Deep

I've mentioned before how Twitter has helped me grow as an educator.  Edutwitter is a valuable resource for book recommendations, new teaching methods, lessons, and articles.  One of my favorite educators to follow is Marissa Thompson, a high school teacher at Carlsbad High. This summer I read about her TQE(thoughts, questions, epiphanies) method for discussing literature.  I'd always longed for having discussions like the ones I had in my college literature courses, but when I try fishbowl or Socratic seminar with my students, the discussions felt forced, flat, and awkward. That changed today when I tried TQE for the first time.  Sharing homework in small groups Students writing their TQEs on the board When I listened to Marissa's podcast on Cult of Pedagogy ( check it out here ), I was intimidated. After all, her students are in high school and have a rock star teacher.  I think I read the transcript twenty times before finally trying it.  Here's h

Writing an Essay...with a Partner

I love technology for collaboration! Teaching writing to middle school students is not easy.  All students come with different skills and knowledge.  With 35 students in a class, it's impossible to sit down one on one and assist students with the writing process.  Teaching students to write a literary analysis is particularly challenging because most seventh-graders have little, to no experience.  Students need to learn to  develop a thesis statement, find evidence from the text to support it, provide the context of the selected quotations , and write insightful commentary on the evidence they selected. Remember, these kiddos are twelve! Graphic organizers are particularly helpful to these young writers. The biggest challenge is providing feedback to students as they are writing, rather than after they turn their work in for a grade.  Students need to be able to use the feedback they receive and see the difference it makes in the final product.  I was adamant that I was not go

Hexagonal Thinking

The last few weeks can be challenging. Keeping students engaged and learning is my mission! When I stumbled upon a post about hexagonal thinking, I knew I had to try it with my students. I am SO glad I did. Although this activity can be done digitally or on paper, I insisted that my students in class do it old school. My goal was for my students to have thoughtful discussions about what we read this year. Here's how it works! First, I came up with a list of key characters and ideas from The Giver, Animal Farm, and The Children's Story. I found this awesome generator on line where I could just type in my words, and it put them in the hexagons for me. Then I printed out the pages (there were three) for each group. I did a copious amount of research before embarking on this activity, and I was shocked by the number of teachers who cut the hexagons out for their students. That would have taken me HOURS. I simply gave each group scissors, and they were done in five minute